Access to the Historic Site is via the Visitor Centre and charges apply. Proceeds from admission charges contribute to the ongoing conservation, interpretation and development of the Port Arthur Historic Sites.
Site Entry Pass
Your Port Arthur site entry pass is valid for two consecutive days and is full of inclusions for you to enjoy during your time with us, so make sure you plan enough time to make the most of it.
- A fascinating, 40 minute guided walking tour—a great introduction to Port Arthur, its people and its past
- A 25 minute harbour cruise on board the MV Marana
- A quality visitor guide with a map of the Site
- Access to more than 30 historic buildings, ruins, gardens and restored houses on the Site
- Entry to the interactive Lottery of Life convict gallery
- Entry to the Museum and Convict Study Centre in the Asylum building
- Access to the Convict Water Supply Trail, and the Dockyard
- Shuttle buggy service for people with restricted mobility available between 10am and 3pm daily. An extended service is offered during summer
The Introductory Tour is included in your Site Entry Pass. The tour is led by an experienced tour guide and provides an introduction to the most significant parts of Port Arthur, giving you a great foundation to continue exploring at your leisure.
Introductory Tours leave regularly from outside the Visitor Centre. Allow 45 minutes.
The Harbour Cruise is included in your Site Entry Pass. The MV Marana will take you past the Dockyard, the Isle of the Dead Cemetery and the Point Puer Boys’ Prison. The on board guide will provide commentary, introducing you to the maritime history of Port Arthur. Enjoy a warm drink, a bite to eat or even a local wine or beer as you take in the view.
Harbour Cruises leave throughout the day and you will receive your cruise time when you purchase your entry pass. Allow 30 minutes.
Extra, optional tours are available for purchase in addition to Site Entry Passes. Tickets are available for the Point Puer Boys’ Prison tour, and the Isle of the Dead Cemetery tour, or you can pick up the iPod Audio tour to add to your self guided experience.